Thursday, February 28, 2013

Eek! She speaks!

Here's a fun way to look at Deliverance, the third book in the Mortal Path series! A word cloud shows how often words appear in a sample of text; the bigger the word in the cloud, the more often the word appears in the text. I think it has a nifty 3D effect (or my eyes are just really tired!) These are the top 80 words in the manuscript. Even I was surprised by some of these words that made it into the cloud. Some of them are common English words like get, went, want, now, go, and put. But why is "one" so popular? Or "back"? Or "door"? Thank goodness blood, man, kill, and knife are in there. I think next time I will try to have the words sword and kiss on every page. Source: Wordle.net



I did mention something about speaking in the title of this post. I'm full-on busy right now, so I thought I'd let a podcast do the rest of my talking. Here's a picture of me, so we can be face-to-face while you're listening.

Dakota Banks-See her lips moving?


See you next time on the 28th of the month!

7 comments:

Helen Lowe said...

Hey, that's funky Dakota--I think I might try it with "The Heir of Night" or "The Gathering of the Lost!" Fun stuff!

Dakota Banks said...

Let's refocus on the original question, which is whether a wonderful blog like this costs a lot to set up. Actually, it's free, using the features of Blogger, and the reason it looks so great is that it reflects the hard and loving work of our group of HarperParas authors. Kudos to us all! How's that for some self-patting on the back. :-)

Kim Falconer said...

Love the interview, Dakota. It's great to hear deeper background to the series.

Thank you!

Like Helen said, what a great idea!

:)

Merrie Destefano said...

Great post, Dakota! BTW, I love doing those word cloud things too. So fun!
=)
Merrie

Bonnie said...

OMG I'm going to have to try out that cloud thingy. Now I'm curious to see what pops out in mine.

I couldn't access the pod cast from my iPad. I'll have to go on my desk top to listen to it?

Dakota Banks said...

Bonnie, I'm not sure what the problem is accessing the podcast from your iPad. As far as I know, it should work. Try your desktop, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Sharon Stogner said...

you are talking about assassins and spy like stuff and they tend to sneak into back doors rather than going through the front door . Will check out the podcast as soon as the family vacates my den!