Thursday, March 7, 2013

Snow Bound

It is once again the seventh of the month, which makes it my day to ramble about writing, books, and the general joys of author-dom.  Since I don't have another book coming out until May 7 (which leaves me plenty of time to talk about the awesomeness of the Asylum Tales), I think I will just talk about something more personal to me: snow. 


Has everyone had enough snow this year?

I think I'm getting there.  No, actually, I'm there.  I've had enough snow to last me until next winter.  I have seen so much snow this winter that I've forgotten what grass looks like.  No, really, I have. 

I was born and raised in Northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati.  I lived there almost my entire life.  Snow was something that arrived in an inch or two, and then melted the next day.  And then, my husband and I went on an adventure.  I got a new day job and we moved NORTH. *burr*  *shiver* 

Yes, we are now living in Madison, Wisconsin.  We moved at the very end of August, so we did get to enjoy a few snow-less months in Wisconsin.  What we've seen of the area is very pretty and the people seem to be quite nice.  However, since the snow hit, we haven't gone exploring much.  Neither of us are skiers or snowboarders.  Neither of us like cold. So for most of the winter, we've huddled in our new place and watched movies, played video games, and marveled as the inches of snow accumulated at a startling rate.

There is someone in our family who ADORES the snow.  That would be our puppy Max.  He's going to be 2 years old this spring and we believe that he is a hound/Labrador mix.  For Max, the deeper the snow, the better.  Potty breaks become his opportunity to go charging through the snow like a lunatic.  He has yet to pull me onto my face in the snow, but he keeps trying.  He jumps through it, lays in it, and bites at it when you throw it at him.  I'm beginning to think that he's hoping that the snow stays all year round.  The only drawback to the snow is that he has seen less of the other dogs that live nearby, so he's had less time to play and socialize.  I'm looking forward to finally taking him to some dog parks when the weather finally turns warm.

In the meantime, when I'm not working on a new book or stalking bad guys in Assassin's Creed III, I have taken up crocheting.  I think it's my attempt to keep warm and keep my hands busy.  The picture to the left is of the afghan that I am currently working on.  I don't think it looks too bad for my first attempt.  At the rate I'm going, I should be done in a couple months.  You know, when the snow finally melts here.

If it's still cold where you are, snuggle up with a nice blanket or someone warm while you read a new book.  If your e-reader is getting a bit low, you can always try my new Asylum Tales series.  I've got a few e-novellas that are just a couple of bucks (Kindle, Nook, Kobo).  Or I noticed that Vicki Pettersson's entire Zodiac series is still priced only $0.99 per book.  (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) Happy reading!

4 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

At least the puppy's happy! ;)

I have relatives in Wisconsin as well and I guess they've just grown use to the weather since they've lived there for years now. St. Louis can get pretty cold too. And also bloody hot!

Helen Lowe said...

My brother and his wife went to an awesome ice carving exhibition in Wisconsin recently, when they were visiting. (they sent photos, that's how I know t was awesome!)I love snow, but as I found when lived in Sweden you do get verra tired of it by winter's end. But then that also makes spring extra special. :)

You have a mighty fine dog there too: he looks to me as if he might have some Boxer in him?

Thanks for a fun post, Jocelynn.

Jocelynn Drake said...

As winters go, this hasn't been bad. I'd rather have lots of snow. Cincinnati doesn't get a lot of snow, but you get sick of the nearly constant gray skies and dead earth for months on end. At least the snow is pretty, but as we head deeper into March, I have to say that I'm sick of the snow now.

We honestly have no idea what Max is. I had a couple people think he is part boxer. To me, he's just a big, goofy, loving, gentle mutt. :)

Bonnie said...

Cute puppy! He looks happy.

Wisconsin is a very damp, cold, and gray state. I will be moving close to the border in a couple months. I don't look forward to it.
Just think how much writing you can do because you won't want to go outside :-)